Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Super Delicious Bird Treat



Winter days spent confined to the coop can be long and boring for chickens so I'm always searching for ways to entertain them. This treat is quick, simple, easy to make and inexpensive.

It's a delicious, healthy treat that can be served up for your hens to enjoy or you can hang it outside for wild birds who are fending for themselves in the cold.

What you'll need:

- 1 apple
- A sharp knife for coring and one for spreading the peanut butter
- Wild bird seed*
- Natural peanut butter - no added sugar or salt
- Plate
- String

Simply wash and core an apple. It's not absolutely necessary to core it, but apple seeds do contain a small amount of cyanide and it makes it easier to hang the treat later.

Spread a thin layer of peanut butter on the outside of the apple. This part can get a bit messy, but it's worth it. Pour a generous amount of birdseed on a plate and then firmly roll the apple in it until it's well coated.

I run a string through the centre of the apple so I can hang it in the coop for the hens to peck at. It makes it a little more of a sport for them and lasts longer.

When they've picked off all the seeds and nuts, they can enjoy the fruit, too.


*Note: Take the time to read the ingredients on the bird seed you purchase. I found several that had added food colouring and/or artificial flavoring. I don't think birds need either of those, so I kept looking until I found a mixture that contained only seeds and nuts.

1 comment:

  1. This looks good enough for me to eat. I think my wild Gray Jays and Blue jays will enjoy it! Happy Holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! I read every note that's left for me after the farm chores are done.