Saturday, February 13, 2016

Meditations on a Spider



"Perhaps I am a bear, or some hibernating animal underneath, 
for the instinct to be half asleep all winter is so strong in me."
Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Winter weighs heavy at this time of year. The novelty of a fresh blanket of snow has given way to weariness as the wind relentlessly molds and carves snowdrifts across the driveway. Afternoon naps provide a welcome respite from the stormy weather and the entire household discovers the pleasures cats have long known about napping.

If it wasn’t for my dog and my flock of hens, I probably wouldn’t set foot outside my house all season. Supply runs to the grocery store being one possible exception. I’m working hard at resisting my natural impulse to hibernate like a bear and am, instead, doing my best to emulate the spider.

Evidence of their steady industry has been appearing in the nooks and corners of my house lately. I confess a certain grudging admiration for their work ethic and have begun to view them as healthy role models, as I work to build my illustration business.

If I weave and spin a little bit every day, perhaps I will eventually have something beautiful to show for my efforts too. It’s a sound business model.


I think I’ll go sleep on it.

2 comments:

  1. Love this post as I relate totally! Even here in the Florida sunshine, the urge to nap is strong. Especially in the summer heat. But winters here, too ,encourage us to follow our cat to lie in a sunbeam, close our eyes, and rest. It does wonders for the soul and I am reminded of great minds such as Edison, Churchill and Anne Lindberg who napped every day if possible. I do think it resets us in some marvelous way. We can emulate the spider in the other hours but even Grandmother Spider spends time in her web just hanging out. I love that you are expanding your illustration business and you will be super successful, my friend. You are FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleeping on it sounds like a great p,an :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! I read every note that's left for me after the farm chores are done.