Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Goodbye. I'll Miss You!


Pearl - 20 days old.

It is with a heavy heart that I bid farewell to my handsome rooster, Pearl, and 5 of his girls.

We're moving two provinces away and, as anyone who has moved will tell you, some downsizing is always required. I've lost a lot of sleep over this decision and I simply can't take my entire flock with me. Two or three days in cramped quarters with 11 hens and 1 rooster just won't work. 


So, it is not without a few tears that I am handing over 6 of my birds to a new caregiver. They're going to a good home. A local 16 year old has built a brand new insulated coop to house them and they will be his first tenants. I'm sending Pearl and his girls with lots of information on the care and feeding they've received for the first 2 years of their life with me. I credit their success in surviving, in spite of me, to the information provided by Lisa Steele on her blog, Fresh Eggs Daily.

Over my husband's objections, I am keeping 6 laying hens and, when the time comes, I will do my best to transport them to their new home safely.  


Pearl - 2 years old

Things will be a lot quieter around the old hay bale from now on. You're one of a kind, Pearl, and I will miss you. 

6 comments:

  1. Awwwwwwww...... You've guys have had a lot of change and it is always hard. But even harder when you have to say goodbye :( glad you found them a great home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one said life was easy... but I'm glad you get to keep some. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many blessings on your adventures! Great job finding a good home for them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a wonderful steward of the animals, Carolynn. It is never easy to find a good home for our animals when life forces a change, but you have done it! I'm sorry your heart hurts. I'm sending you a big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me sad when I first read it and I haven't thought of anything comforting to say. You are doing what's best but that doesn't make it any easier. I, too, am glad you are able to keep a small flock. May the others be happy in their new home ~

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting! I read every note that's left for me after the farm chores are done.